Last updated on May 11th, 2022 at 09:22 am
The role of a store associate has evolved greatly in recent years. Gone are the days of disappearing into the back room to look for a customer’s size and ringing up items behind a counter.
Retail technology has made the store associate role far more dynamic. In particular, mobile point of sale (mPOS) devices help reduce operational pain points and make it easier to connect with customers.
Below, we discuss the benefits of mobile point of sale devices and how this technology enhances the role of the store associate, creating a far better experience for both employees and customers.
Omnichannel Store Associates
Less forward-thinking retail brands have permitted competition between their online and physical storefronts. This is a short-sighted and self-defeating business model.
Adopting an omnichannel approach–one that seamlessly integrates the online and physical experience–is critical for retail brands that want to succeed in today’s digitally connected world.
Customers shopping across various channels is a good thing. Not only for your bottom line but also for store associates who now have more opportunities than ever before to connect with shoppers and provide assistance.
Tapping into technology, such as mobile point of sale (mPOS) devices, is crucial for providing omnichannel store associates with the tools they need to reach customers across channels.
How Store Associates Benefit from Mobile Point of Sale Devices
There are many advantages of equipping store associates with mobile point of sale devices. They greatly improve their ability to create more positive interactions with customers and take clienteling to a new level.
A modern store associate can use an mPOS to:
- Check real-time stock availability. With real-time inventory visibility across locations on a mobile device, store associates can check what’s in stock without having to leave a customer’s side.
- Have visibility into a customer’s purchase history across channels. A complete view of the customer profile will give store associates more data to personalize interactions and be able to effectively cross-sell or upsell.
- Create a digital “black book.” With an mPOS device, store associates can take notes and keep track of customer birthdays and preferences to build hyper-personalized relationships.
- Accept returns for orders placed through any channel. Returns are seamless with an mPOS. Store associates don’t even need to ask customers for a receipt.
- Provide a seamless checkout experience. An mPOS allows store associates to check out customers from anywhere in the store. Customers can use various payment methods, including tap to pay from phones, watches, and more.
- Complete store and endless aisle purchase in a single transaction. With access to enterprise-wide inventory, store associates never have to tell customers “no.” In-store, they can combine an endless aisle order for out of stock items with items being purchased on the spot in one seamless transaction.
- Conduct remote selling. Store associates can communicate with customers through a consumer app or text messaging to inform them about new products, respond to questions, and even build a cart.
- Provide assistance to online shoppers. It’s possible to virtually assist customers with style and fit recommendations, send photos of products in-store, set in-store appointments, and more with an mPOS that’s synced to your online chat solution.
- Collaborate with teammates. Store associates can share their inbox and carts with other team members to work together to take care of customers.
- Recognize if a customer is about to achieve a loyalty milestone. With an mPOS, store associates can help create loyal customers by letting them know about potential rewards or incentives.
Engaged Store Associates Create Loyal Customers
Store associates are vital to the modern customer experience. Armed with technology, they can spend more time doing what likely drew them to the role in the first place — helping shoppers find products they love. Making the role more enjoyable for store associates means more engaged workers and less employee turnover.
Retaining knowledgeable store associates is critical for delivering great service. Customers want to form deep relationships with their favorite brands, including with the people representing it. Customers want to see a friendly face when they walk back into your store, and they are much more likely to engage with a text message about a new collection from someone they know. Plus, if a close relationship exists, store associates can create hyper-personalized messages to customers.
As retail brands move away from the hard-sell approach, providing highly personalized assistance is key to winning the hearts and minds of consumers. A positive store associate interaction will hold more weight with customers than any ad campaign. Also, a customer who has an overwhelmingly positive experience with a brand will often leave behind an equally content store associate. This makes the employee’s experience with your brand more meaningful and enjoyable, which again, increases the likelihood they’ll stick around for a while.
Set Your Store Associates Up for Success
A modern store associate moves between the physical store and digital world as omnichannel retail demands. The role extends beyond customer service and into delivering an experience—confidently advising and subtly upselling, while building brand trust and loyalty.
Equipping store associates with an mPOS is advantageous. It doesn’t just improve the customer experience—it improves their own job satisfaction. It’s a win all around.
To learn more about empowering store associates with technology, check out our mobile POS solution.